Monday, April 12, 2010

Reflections

I would like to amend my previous post as it was rather emotionally driven and its not something that we should all practise especially when we are referring to effective communication as part of effective communication also means to put yourself in another person's shoes and try to understand the other person first before writing or saying anything. For this I would like to chnage my post on my reflection for the oral presentation. My deepest apologies to everyone who have been upset and affected by it. It was not done intentionally.

I have to admit that thw whole experience of the project was very hectic and it felt like a race against time for all of us. This was because we were trying to juggle it with other datelines as well such as the dreaded final yr project and Europs (if thats spelt correctly! sorry Jiv!) etc. But i think everyone deserved a pat on the back as we really tried our very best at research and creating the slides to the best of our ability. The topic itself required a lot of interviews and it didnt really go so well cause we often received no replies to our email requesting for interviews. But luckily we had family freinds in the medicine field who could help us get the information we need.

I am really amazed at how well my group mates can juggle their responsibilities with the amount of work our project required as it was rather deemanding and not something we actually expected. Therefore it was a mad rish for us but all were determined to make it work and we slugged hard for it. I am thankful we had Jiv as a leader as she was the one that kept us focused and gave us direction. She also had a great network of friends who could help us when we needed to make the brochure or the website etc.

I also awed by ji lu's performace during the presentation cause the night before he didnt seem so confident and kept reading from the script. But on the day of the presentation when he stood up and started speaking, he did his part with so much confidence and certainty that i was really impressed.

I didnt do so well cause i was nervous and therefore kept stammering and repeating my points. It was allso my first attempt at not looking at a script while presenting so that too made me really nervous. I think thats why i may have said some of my group mate's lines too (eeks!) but i am not sure if i did... but the mistake was probably made due to my nervousness and the fact that everyone's eyes were just focused on you during the presentation. But as part of my effort to become a better presenter i knew i had to do it and i did. I think overall the team did real good and i m proud of everyone....Ji Lu and Jiv!! Well done pple!!! Hope to see u guys again! Take care and it was wonderful working with ya!

3 comments:

  1. Hey babes,

    first up I was not accusing you (: You did deviate (i can show you written evidence haha) but I was trying to highlight the things that can go wrong during a presentation and how I managed to get back on track. Nothing personal. You do not have to take it personal either!

    I also believe I called you at midnight and gave you a choice. My intention was clear, I had too much air time as it is with explaining the background and thus gave you the introduction! You accepted and so we proceeded with the plan. Nothing was enforced! Just making myself clear. Since I was unable to have a chat with you after the presentation it is unfortunate that we have to use the blog as a medium to do our post mortem.

    Also, you clearly know why I could not make the change any earlier! Hope this clears everything you wanted to know...

    Jiv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Varjeet,

    I am sure you are glad the presentation is over. These few weeks have been really hectic for all of us in the class, no matter which faculty or course we are taking. I can very much relate to that.

    Lets get to the presentation. I like your slides. They were simple yet have enough information to support what you are saying. The opening with the question is great as it engages the audience, pulling them out of sleep if they are beginning to fall under that spell.

    Now to the not so great part. You sounded rushed. Maybe a little more practice beforehand would be good. I guess the last minute changes in your presentation might have contributed to that and to lesser amount of eye contact. Nevertheless, the points still came across clearly.

    Overall your group did a great job.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Varjeet,

    Overall, good job on the presentation. Now, let me just focus on your presentation alone, you have a very sweet voice, just naturally. Its very easy on the ear. :)

    I would have liked it if you had made more eye contact with the audience and spanned more across. Oh, and in one part, you used the word "whereby". I maybe wrong about this, but in JC, they advised us against using that word. Its meant for a very specific legal usage only.

    Other than this, I cant quite recollect much else. All that I do remember was that you guys had done a very good job. You'll had a very well researched project. :)

    ReplyDelete